Sunday, December 21, 2014

Being Cool

"Cool" can take many shapes and forms depending on a multitude of factors. If you're athletic, cool is probably sports. If you love fashion, then being cool probably means dressing good. And if you're Derek, then cool is probably Taylor Swift and Beyonce. However, one form of "cool" that a portion of society seems to always follow would be the mook.

Definition of "mook"- a stupid or incompetent person

  

 These are pictures of prime time mooks. We all see how dumb they are, yet so many continue to follow in their footsteps. We see them in movies and at concerts doing idiotic things such as smashing tables, shouting obscenities, and pounding tons of alcohol. You probably know a mook or two. . . I know I do.

Perhaps mooks are followed simply because they are glorified in our media (for some odd reason). Things such as Jackass and Jersey Shore are glamorized and this message of "if you act stupid, then you're cool" is projected.

But despite how dumb I believe mooks are, even I sometimes find myself enjoying and promoting the antics that they are up to. I'll admit it, sometimes I like to see guys do wild stuff like beat each other with rotisserie chickens or run through doors. A little mind-numbing entertainment is nice every once in a while. When I'm stressed and need to let anger out, *cough term paper* I empathize with people such as the rapper Tyler the Creator when he says "kill people, burn sh*t, f*ck school." I suppose it is the consumption of mook behavior by people such as myself that keep the cycle of mook-ness turning. But of well, crap happens.

That is all for tonight. But before I go. . .

In the words of Lil B. . .

"i love you (points at you) even if you do not love me back!"

2 comments:

  1. This was such a good analysis of mooks! I agree- I feel like mooks are popular for the simple entertainment that they provide. While life is super hard for us, life seems extremely (and almost ridiculously) simple for them. It is, after all, really fun to be stupid sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I totally agree with your statement about mooks being ridiculous and glorified for unknown reasons, and the idea that while we see how stupid they are, they are still great forms of entertainment. Our lives (as HISP kids) are filled with assignments and stress and, along with those two things, often anger.The crazy antics of mooks provide an easy break from those things. There's a good chance you won't be thinking of your term paper while watching a group of guys swim with alligators. There are always multiple sides and you portrayed that very well!

    ReplyDelete