Sunday, November 16, 2014

My Relationship with Media

 Lurking in the shadows, skulking underneath my bed, hiding in my closet; it is media who is always there. My relationship with media is similar to that of a relationship with an annoying, suffocating, and creepy girlfriend. It is constantly surrounding me, continually trying to take over my life, and it seems set on not letting go any time soon.


"You know what you need? Some salsa, my friend." "Vote for Ami Bera!" "Purchase some Castrol oil for the car you don't even have, I insist." "Activia!" This is but a minor preview to the hundreds of slurs that the media hurls at me on the daily, trying to steer me in a multitude of directions, pestering and trying with all its might to lure me into its trap. Just as it is for any other American, media exposure is a large part of my life, despite the fact that I may not always be aware of it. Whether I am simply sitting on the bus, or walking down the street, media is always there. It could taking the form of billboards for Geico, posters for Subway, and all else in-between. However, regardless of its efforts, my relationship with media is more than not, one-sided. I may be exposed to it every millisecond living in America, and it may try to consume me, but in most cases I don't really buy into its messages. I am able to steer clear, curving it, as if it was trying to slide into my DM's.
Sure, I may slip here and there by, for example, making references to pop culture and connecting them to my life. As Missy Elliott and J. Cole said in their song on the radio, "Nobody's perfect." Indeed true, nobody is perfect, not I and not you. We all succumb to the media sometimes, but as for myself, I stay clean more than not.

Despite the medias persistent attempts to assert its rule over my life, it has not gotten far, and it will probably stay that way. This "relationship" of mine with media shall go no further than the awkward first date, the date in which I recognized she wasn't the one. 

Thank you for reading, and have a spectacular, media-filled, day.

No comments:

Post a Comment